Yong Pung How School of Law
ONG Ee Ing
Senior Lecturer of Law
- Juris Doctor (cum laude), George Mason University School of Law (2006)
- Master of Arts, English Literature, Brown University (1999)
- Bachelor of Arts (Honors) (magna cum laude), English and American Literature, Brown University (1999)
- Admitted to practice in New York and the District of Columbia
Academic Positions Held
- Senior Lecturer, School of Law, Singapore Management University, July 2019-Present
- Lecturer, School of Law, Singapore Management University, July 2014-Jun 2019
- Adjunct Faculty, School of Law, Singapore Management University, 2010-May 2014
- Senior Associate, Milbank Tweed Hadley & McCloy LLP (2008-2013)
- Judicial Clerk, Chambers of the Hon. Peter B. Krauser (Chief Judge), Court Of Special Appeals of Maryland (2006-2007)
- Ministry of Defence, Singapore (1999-2002)
Honours and Awards
- Nominated for the SMU Undergraduate Innovative Teacher Award (2022)
- Awarded Most Outstanding LGST Teacher Award (2022)
- Nominated for the SMU Teaching Excellence in Postgraduate Professional Programmes Award (2020)
- Awarded the SOL LLM Teaching Award (2019-2020)
- Awarded the SOL JD Teaching Award (2018-2019)
- Recommended lawyer in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2012’s editorial
- Phi Beta Kappa (1999)
Courses Taught in SMU
- Legal Research & Writing
- Ethics & Social Responsibility
- Legal Commentaries for Practice (Advanced Legal Writing) (SMU-X)
- Law of Mergers & Acquisitions
- Launching an Online Financial Business (The Lawyer’s Role) (SMU-X)
Areas of Specialisation
- Corporate Law
- Ethics and Social Responsibility
- Commercial Law
- Ong Ee Ing, “The year of COVID-19: Personal reflections on how traditional pedagogy can be informed by online teaching methods (aka how I changed my mind about online teaching)”, Law and COVID-19 (2020) (eds Gurrea-Martínez, A; Findlay, M; Goh, Y) <https://ssrn.com/abstract=3686357>.
- Ong Ee Ing, “Data Protection in the Internet – Singapore Report”, Data Protection in the Internet (eds Vicente, Dário Moura & Casimiro, Sofia de Vasconcelos) (Springer International Publishing, 2020). The book, which identifies and explains the different national approaches to data protection, is part of the International Academy of Comparative Law’s Ius Comparatum - Global Studies in Comparative Law series.
- Contributed to Letters of the Law: An Anthology (2020).
- Ong Ee Ing, Guide to Legal Analysis & Writing (LexisNexis, 2017).
- Wee Ling Loo & Ee Ing Ong, “The 2016 Amendments to Singapore’s Consumer Protection (Fair Trading) Act – A Missed Opportunity” (2017) 36(2) University of Tasmania Law Review 15-48.