Yong Pung How School of Law
Associate Professor of Law; Director, Centre for Commercial Law in Asia; V3 Group Fellow in Family Entrepreneurship
- B.C.L., University of Oxford, 2008
- Advocate and Solicitor (Singapore ), 2007
- LL.B., National University of Singapore, 2006
Academic Positions Held
- Associate Professor of Law, School of Law, Singapore Management University, Jan 2017-Present
- Director, Centre for Commercial Law in Asia (CCLA), Jan 2021-Present
- Deputy Director, Centre for Cross-Border Commercial Law in Asia (CEBCLA), July 2017 – December 2020
- Assistant Professor of Law, School of Law, Singapore Management University, Jul 2010-Dec 2016
- Adjunct Faculty, Singapore Management University, 2009 (Course: Equity & Trusts)
- Research Visitor, Institute of European and Comparative Law, University of Oxford, 12 - 21 June 2019
- Research Visitor, University of New South Wales, Law School, May 2017
- Visiting Scholar, University of Birmingham, School of Law, May-June 2014
- Associate, WongPartnership LLP, 2009–2010
- Associate, Allen & Gledhill LLP, 2007
- Pupil, Allen & Gledhill LLP, 2006 - 2007
- Speaker (Restitution), Attorney General’s Chamber—Professional Development Programme, 2016–Present
- Member, Law Reform Committee Singapore Academy of Law, 2012–2016
- Member, Curriculum Reform Committee—Curriculum Working Group on Legal Skills (except Legal Writing), Singapore Management University (School of Law), 2012
- Member, Scholarship Interview Committee, Singapore Management University (School of Law), 2012–2013
- Member, PhD Programme Committee, Singapore Management University (School of Law), 2014–2015
- Commercial Law in Asia book series (SAL-SMU), Editor, 2020 – present
- Trust Law International, Editor, September 2018-present
- Asia Pacific Digest Editor, Resititution Law Review, 2014-2018
- Editor, Singapore Law Blog (www.singaporelawblog.sg)
Honors & Awards
- SOL's Nominee for SMU's Excellent Teacher Award 2019
- SOL Dean's Teaching Excellence Award 2018-19
- Lee Kong Chian Fellowship July 2018 - June 2019, July 2019 – June 2020, July 2020-June 2021
- SOL Dean's Teaching Excellence Award 2017-18
- Lee Kong Chian Fellowship Jul 2018 - Jun 2019
- DS Lee Foundation Fellowship July 2016-June 2017
- SOL’s Nominee for SMU’s Most Innovative Teacher Award 2015
- SOL Dean’s Teaching Excellence Award 2014–2015
- School of Law Nominee for SMU Most Promising Teacher Award 2013
- University Student Life Recognition Award 2012
- SOL Most Promising Teacher Award 2011–12
Courses Taught in SMU
- Law of Equity & Trusts
- Commercial Conflict of Laws
Research Area / Areas of Specialisation
- Unjust Enrichment & Restitution
- Equity & Trusts
- Private International Law
- Contract Law
- Man Yip, ‘Comparing Family Property Disputes in English and Singapore law: "Context" is Everything’ Legal Studies (accepted for publication).
- Man Yip and Kelvin Low, ‘Reconceptualising Fiduciary Regulation in Actual Conflicts’ Melbourne University Law Review (accepted for publication).
- Rebecca Lee and Man Yip, ‘Exclusion of Duty and the Irreducible Core Content of Trusteeship: A Re-Assessment’ (2020) 10 Journal of Equity 131.
- Man Yip, ‘Modern Equity: At the Edge of Formal Reasoning?’ in A Robertson and J Goudkamp (eds), Form and Substance in the Law of Obligations (Hart Publishing, 2019) ch 10.
- Huo Zhengxin and Man Yip, 'Comparing the International Commercial Courts of China with the Singapore International Commercial Court’(2019) 68 International and Comparative Law Quarterly
- Man Yip, ‘Trust-owned companies: understanding the trustees’ duties’ (2018) 31 Trust Law International 185-201.
- Man Yip, ‘Third Parties’ Liability for Receipt of Misdirected Corporate Assets: The Relevance of Knowing Receipt?’ (2017) 11 Journal of Equity 293-318.
- Man Yip and James Lee, ‘The Commercialisation of Equity’ (2017) 37 Legal Studies 647-671.
- Man Yip, ‘The Commercial Context in Trust Law’ (2016) Conveyancer and Property Lawyer 347-365.
- Yip Man and Goh Yihan, ‘Navigating the Maze: Making Sense of Equitable Compensation and Account of Profits for Breach of Fiduciary Duty’ (2016) Singapore Academy of Law Journal 884-920 (Special Issue on Remedies)(invited).
- Man Yip, ‘The Resolution of Disputes Before the Singapore International Commercial Court’  65 International & Comparative Law Quarterly 439–473.
- Man Yip, “Singapore’s Remedial Constructive Trust: Lessons from Australia?” (2014) 8 Journal of Equity 77-107
- Man Yip, ‘Further Reflections on the Hastings-Bass rule, Rescission for Mistake and Rectification’ (2014) Journal of Equity 46-71
- Man Yip, ‘The Pallant v Morgan Equity Reconsidered’ (2013) 33 Legal Studies 549-571
- Man Yip and Yihan Goh, ‘Liability for Work Done Where Contract is Denied – Contractual and Restitutionary Approaches’ (2012) Lloyd’s Maritime Commercial Law Quarterly 289–316
- Man Yip, ‘Use Value of Money in the Law of Unjust Enrichment’ (2010) 30 Legal Studies 586-609