Lee Kong Chian School of Business
Associate Professor of Communication Management (Practice); Area Coordinator, Communication Management
|2005||Ph.D., Cornell University|
|2002||M.S., Cornell University|
Current Position(s) Held
|Jan 2008 - Now||Associate Professor of Communication Management (Practice)|
|Lee Kong Chian School of Business, Singapore Management University|
|Mar 2018 - Now||Area Coordinator, Communication Management Group|
|Singapore Management University|
|Aug 2021 - Now||SMU-X Academic Champion and Mentor|
|Singapore Management University|
|Jul 2022 - Now||Program Director|
|United Board Fellows Program|
Recognition and Honors
- SMU Faculty Contribution to Student Life Award, 2022
- Member, Arthur W. Page Society, 2021
- SMU MBA Teaching Excellence Award, 2020
- Dean’s Teaching Honour List (Postgraduate Programs), 2019 - 2021
- SMU Teaching Excellence Honour Roll, 2019
- SMU-X Excellent Teacher Award, 2019
- Specialist Adult Educator Award (Curriculum Development), SkillsFuture SG/Institute for Adult Learning, 2018
- SMU Teaching Excellence Award, Postgraduate Professional Programmes, 2016
- SMU Faculty Contribution to Student Life Award, 2016
- Excellent Teacher Award, Singapore Management University, 2015
- Most Promising Teacher Award, Singapore Management University , 2006
- Dean's Teaching Honour List, Lee Kong Chian School of Business, Singapore Management University , 2005 - 2011, 2013 - 2022
- Outstanding Graduate Instructor, International Communication Association, 2002
- Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant, Cornell University, 2001
- MoE AcRF Tier 2 grant, 2021
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) research grant, 2003
- Asia Rice Foundation research grant, 2001
- Ethical, Legal, and Social Implications (ELSI) research grant, Cornell Genomics Initiative, Cornell University, 2001
- Global Colloquium on Participant-Centered Learning
Harvard Business School, 2012
- International Management Teachers Academy
Central and East European Management Development Association (CEEMAN), 2008
- Perception and acceptance of novel food technologies
- Leung, A.K.-y., Chong, M., Fernandez, T.M., & Ng, S.T. (2023). Higher well-being individuals are more receptive to cultivated meat: An investigation of their reasoning for consuming cultivated meat. Appetite. 106496. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2023.106496
- Chong, M., Leung, A.K.-y., & Lua, V. (2022). A cross-country investigation of social image motivation and acceptance of lab-grown meat in Singapore and the United States. Appetite, 173, 105990. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2022.105990
- Chen, X.K., Na, J-C., Tan, L.K-W., Chong, M., & Choy, M. (2022). Exploring how online responses change in response to debunking messages about COVID-19 on Whatsapp. Online Information Review. DOI: 10.1108/OIR-08-2021-0422
- Chong, M., & Joseph, F. (2021). Living the corporate purpose. Insights from companies in Asia. World Scientific Publishing.
- Chong, M., & Choy, M. (2020). An empirically supported taxonomy of misinformation. In Information Resources Management Association (Ed.), Research anthology on fake news, political warfare, and combatting the spread of misinformation (pp.1-24). IGI Global.
- Chong, M., Gan, B., & Menkhoff, T. (2020). Enhancing students’ global competence through international business study missions. Journal of International Education in Business. DOI: 10.1108/JIEB-06-2020-0054
- Chong, M., & Choy, M. (2020). An empirically supported taxonomy of misinformation. In K. Dalkir & R. Katz (Eds.), Navigating fake news, alternative facts, and misinformation in a post-truth world. IGI Global.
- Chung, S., Chong, M., Chua, J.S., & Na, J.C. (2019). Evolution of corporate reputation during an evolving controversy. Journal of Communication Management, 23(1), 52-71.
- Tan, C-W., Tan, J., Baskaran, V., & Chong, M. (2019). Singapore’s ‘Crazy Rich Asians’ experience of city branding. The Case Centre.
- Chong, M., & Choy, M. (2018). The social amplification of haze-related risks on the Internet. Health Communication, 33(1), 14-21.