Yong Pung How School of Law
Aurelio GURREA MARTINEZ
Assistant Professor of Law
- JSM, Stanford University
- MSc in Law and Finance, University of Oxford
- PhD in Law, CEU San Pablo University
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Granada
- Bachelor of Business Administration, University of Granada
Academic Positions Held
- Assistant Professor of Law, Singapore Management University, August 2018- Present
- Head, Singapore Global Restructuring Initiative, SMU Centre for Commercial Law in Asia, May 2020-present
- Fellow, Harvard Law School Program on International Financial Systems and Program on Corporate Governance, September 2016-July 2018.
- Visiting Researcher, Columbia Law School, January 2014-March 2015.
- Advisor, Ministry of Justice, Government of Spain, June 2015-May 2018.
- Visiting Researcher, Max Planck Institute for Comparative and International Private Law, Hamburg, Germany, March-June 2015.
- Lecturer in Comparative Corporate Law, University of Los Andes, Summer School, 2015-2019.
- Lecturer in Business Law, CEU San Pablo University, Madrid, Spain, September 2010-September 2014.
- Partner, Corporate, Finance & Restructuring Department, Dictum Abogados, September 2010-July 2018.
- Auditor, Audifaith Europe, July 2008-September 2010
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute, 2021-present
- Member, Academic Steering Committee, INSOL International, 2020-present
- Head, Research Group on Fintech, SMU Centre for AI and Data Governance, 2018-present
- Member, International Insolvency Institute NextGen Group, 2017-present
- Director, Ibero-American Institute for Law and Finance, 2015-present
- Member, American Law and Economics Association, 2014-present
- Academic Member, European Corporate Governance Institute, 2013-present
- Member, Spanish Bar Association, 2009-present
- Member, Spanish Registry of Qualified Auditors, 2009-present
Honours & Awards
- American Bankruptcy Institute’s 40 under 40 Award, 2021
- Master of Laws Teaching Award, SMU Yong Pung How School of Law, 2021
- Research grant for project on the use of litigation funding in insolvency proceedings, INSOL International and University of South Australia, 2021
- Lee Kong Chian Fellowship, Singapore Management University, 2021
- Research Grant, Ministry of Law, 2020
- Dean’s Teaching Excellence Award, SMU School of Law, 2019
- Silver Medal in International Insolvency Studies, International Insolvency Institute, 2017
- Rising Star of Corporate Governance Award, Millstein Center for Global Markets and Corporate Ownership, Columbia University, 2016
- Cruz de San Raimundo de Peñafort (Medal of honor granted by the Spanish Ministry of Justice for contributions to the development of law in Spain), 2016
- Talentia Fellowship to pursue studies at the University of Oxford, Andalusian Government, 2013
- FPU Fellowship for Young Researchers, Spanish Ministry of Education and Science, 2010-2014
Courses Taught in SMU
- Comparative Corporate Governance
- International and Comparative Insolvency Law
- Securities and Financial Regulation
- Company Law
Research Areas / Areas of Specialisation
- Corporate insolvency law
- Business restructuring
- Corporate governance
- Capital markets and financial regulation
- Law and finance
- Aurelio Gurrea-Martinez, ‘Towards an Optimal Model of Directors' Duties in the Zone of Insolvency: An Economic and Comparative Approach’, Journal of Corporate Law Studies (Forthcoming, 2021).
- Aurelio Gurrea-Martinez, ‘Implementing an Insolvency Framework for Micro and Small Firms’ (2021) 30 International Insolvency Review, pp. 46-66.
- Aurelio Gurrea-Martínez, ‘Theory, Evidence, and Policy on Dual-Class Shares: A Country-Specific Response to a Global Debate’ (2021) 22 European Business Organization Law Review, pp. 475-515.
- Aurelio Gurrea-Martínez, ‘The Future of Reorganization Procedures in the Era of Pre-Insolvency Law’ (2020) 21(4) European Business Organization Law Review, pp. 829-854.
- Aurelio Gurrea-Martínez, ‘Towards a Credible System of Independent Directors in Controlled Firms’ (2020) 35 (1) Australian Journal of Corporate Law, pp. 31-55.
- Aurelio Gurrea-Martínez, ‘Insolvency Law in Times of COVID-19’ (2020) 41 (7) The Company Lawyer, pp. 191-198.
- Aurelio Gurrea-Martinez (with Martin Gelter), ‘Addressing the Auditor Independence Puzzle: Regulatory Models and Proposal for Reform’ (2020) 53 (3) Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law, pp. 787-827.
- Aurelio Gurrea-Martínez (with Nydia Remolina), ‘The Law and Finance of Initial Coin Offerings’, in Chris Brummer (ed.), Cryptoassets: Legal, Regulatory and Monetary Perspectives, Oxford University Press, pp. 117-156 (2019).
- Aurelio Gurrea-Martínez, ‘The Avoidance of Pre-Bankruptcy Transactions: An Economic and Comparative Approach’ (2018) 93(3) Chicago-Kent Law Review, pp. 711-650.
- Aurelio Gurrea-Martínez, ‘Re-examining the law and economics of the business judgment rule’ (2018) 18(2) Journal of Corporate Law Studies, pp. 417-438.
Selected Blog Posts
- Aurelio Gurrea-Martínez, Insolvency Law in Emerging Markets, Harvard Law School Bankruptcy Roundtable.
- Aurelio Gurrea-Martínez, Insolvency Law in Times of COVID-19, Oxford Business Law Blog, 14 April 2020.
- Aurelio Gurrea-Martínez, Theory, Evidence and Policy on Dual-Class Shares: A Country-Specific Response to a Global Debate, Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance, 15 July 2019.
Press and Selected Cited Work
- More firms are going bankrupt, data shows, Straits Times, 27 March 2020.
- Audit committees need a ‘makeover’ to help fix audit, Board Agenda, 3 December 2019.
- Enhancing consumer and investor protection in Initial Coin Offerings, Business Times, 20 November 2019.
- The battle to be top of the stocks, World Finance, 11 April 2018.